Railway Museum

Vagonářské muzeumThe Railway Museum, owned by the Town of Studénka since 1 April, is operated by the contributory organization Sport and Culture Studenka, which has its head office in the building. In addition, the manor house also houses a ceremonial hall, the municipal library, a meeting room of the Czech Union for Nature Conservation, and a photographic studio.

The construction of the two storey building of Studénka's manor house was completed in 1750 after an older manor house, first mentioned in historical records as early as 1705, had been rebuilt. Between 1860 and 1863 a tower and a spire with a spiral staircase were added to the building. The marble steps of the main staircase were brought from Velké Kunčice u Glucholazů, and the cast iron handrail was made at the ironworks in Blansko. A park was built around the manor house, which featured a number of exotic trees.

After World War II the manor house became home to the Business School for Legionnaires; at a later period the building housed classrooms of the local lower-secondary school and the remaining part of the manor house contained council flats. Today, the manor house is under the ownership of the Town of Studénka.

The initial impetus to establish the Railway Museum was the success of an exhibition commemorating the 55th anniversary of rolling stock manufacturing in Studénka, which was organized in 1956 in the company's hotel. After the rail car manufacturer, then known as Vagónka Tatra Studénka - Butovice n.p., reached an agreement with the local authorities, the tower section of the castle became the home to the new museum. In May of the following year, the museum hosted an exhibition chronicling the history of the factory.

The first two exhibition halls of the museum were opened to the public in May 1961 and by 1965 the exposition had expanded into five halls and presented the beginnings of rail transport and rolling stock manufacturing in the territory of our country, the history of the manufacturing plant until 1960, as well as the development of individual parts and components.

Currently, available for public viewing are exhibits displayed in three vestibules and six exhibition halls, one of which features a fully operational model railway. The museum has continued to acquire new exhibits with its latest exhibit content having been arranged at the beginning of 2004, after all materials available up until 2003 had been processed.

The processing of historical documents makes the Museum of Railway quite unique, even in a European context.

 

Contact

Phone: +420 552 303 730
E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
WWW: http://www.meksstudenka.cz/muzeum/pozvanka.html

Vagonářské muzeum
Panská 229
742 13 Studénka

Museum Curator: Bronislav Novosad

  • The museum occupies three floors of the Studénka Manor House and is not wheelchair accessible.
  • Free parking for cars and buses is available in the adjacent access road approx. 100m from the museum entrance.
  • Located directly on the Beskydy Cycling Trail, the manor house provides bicycle stands just outside the building.

Opening Hours

May - September 
Tuesday to Sunday and holidays
(1 and 8 May, 5 and 6 July, 28 Sept)
10.00 – 16.00

Group visits outside normal opening hours can be arranged by appointment.

Admission

Children under 6 must be accompanied by a person aged 10 years or over,

Disability card holders (ZTP)

Free
Children 6 - 15 and pensioners CZK 20
Adults CZK 35
Family admission (2 adults, 2 and more children) CZK 90