Town History

Starý zámekThe youngest town in the Nový Jičín District, the Town of Studénka was established as a single town in 1959 when Butovice and Studénka were joined together. The first written mention of Studénka dates to the year 1436 (unconfirmed 1412); however, the community is likely to have existed before.

The first known owners were Čeněk of Tvorkov and Jan Třebíčský. Several owners followed in quick succession and in the period of 1467 – 1569, Studénka belonged to the Füllstein family and later to the Praschma family, who added the town to their vast Bílovec manor. However, for their participation in the anti-Habsburg rebellion in the early 1600s, the Praschma family lost their property and after the Bohemian estates were defeated at the Battle of White Mountain in 1620, Studénka was sold by the Royal Chamber as confiscated property to Václav of Vrbno in 1634, who added the village to his Fulnek manor.

In the 18th century Studénka was bought by Gottfried Emanuel and Jan Václav of Mönnich and in the 19th century Studénka was bequeathed to Countess Maria Blücher von Wahlstatt. The Blücher family added Studénka to their estate in nearby Bravantice. Since 1850 Studénka belonged to the judicial district of Klimkovice and the political district of Opava, from 1896 to the judicial and political district of Bílovec, and finally from 1960 onwards, Studénka has been part of the Nový Jičín district. In the 19th century there was a mill and a sugar refinery, and later a steam brick yard. The end of the 19th century saw construction of two local rail lines – the first was built in 1881 and ran between Studénka and Štramberk. The other rail line between Studénka and Bílovec was built in 1890. In 1914 Studénsko-štramberská vápenka, spol. s.r.o., a limeworks, was established and continued in operation until 1962. The number of job opportunities in industry increased when Adolf Schustala established a factory for manufacturing rail vehicles in 1900. The wagonworks became part of the Ringhoffer Company in 1928 and provided employment not only for Studénka's residents but also inhabitants of German-settled Butovice, as well as other neighbouring towns and villages.

With respect to the natural conditions in the area with vast meadows and a chain of ponds, agriculture was the traditional means of subsistence for inhabitants of both Studénka and neighbouring Butovice, who mostly engaged in cattle breeding and pond fish farming.

The first mention of the parish in Studénka dates back to 1561, with the rectory built in the 18th century. After 1627 people began to gradually return to the Catholic faith and at the end of the 19th century out of Studénka's population of 1832, there were 1816 Catholics, 6 Evangelists and 10 Jews. Studénka's rectory belonged to the Deanery of Bílovec.

Evidence indicates that the local school had existed as early as 1650 as a parish school. The primary school in Studénka had its own building already in the early 1800s; however, the new school building, which thereafter housed the school for many decades, was formally opened in 1886 in today's Družstevní street. At the beginning of the 20th century another primary school was established, located in the vicinity of the railway station. The new school was intended primarily for children whose parents were employed by the railways as well as children from neighbouring areas. The school was shut down in 1944 during the time of the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia (1939-1945). After World War I, the town established and built yet another school - a lower secondary school, which opened in 1919.

Since the mid-17th century, Studénka's seal featured a fountain and a fleur-de-lis. These charges, complemented with wagon buffers symbolizing the wagonworks, were used in designing the town's coat of arms in 1960 and approved nine years later: a quartered shield with the first and fourth field of red showing a silver fountain, the second and third field of blue showing a golden fleur-de-lis, with a golden fess with two black wagon buffers.

Now a neighbourhood of Studénka, Butovice was a separate community until the end of 1958. The community is first mentioned in 1324 as Bothenwald and it is likely to have originally belonged to the Opava and Fulnek manor.

From 1850 Butovice belonged to the Fulnek judicial district, between 1939 and 1945 to the Bílovec judicial district and in the interim period of 1945-1949 to the judicial district of Nový Jičín. After the year 1949 Butovice was part of the Bílovec district again and only after 1960 Butovice was transferred to the Nový Jičín district. Butovice was a typical agricultural village which developed small-scale craft production to meet the needs in the agricultural sector. In the 16th century, the then vogt and a wealthy man held in high esteem, Jiří Butovský, had St. Anna Chapel built in Butovice. The chapel is associated with the tradition of fairs dedicated to this patron saint.

In the 19th century the number of sole traders in Butovice rose steeply and were organized in the Association of Assorted Trades. A great impact on the development of the community was the establishment of a wagonworks in neighbouring Studénka. Butovice's residents were also engaged in a wide range of cultural activities, as well as those related to ethnography and national history. In the period of 1936-1945, Butovice even had its own museum of national history. After World War II, the German population of Butovice, save some exceptions, were expelled and the newly arrived Czech residents continued to be engaged in traditional agriculture.

The school in Butovice is first mentioned in the year 1572. At the end of the 19th century, there was a five-class German elementary school, today's Butovická primary school. In 1962 Butovice's largest primary school was established in its own new building located in Sjednocení street.

Nová Horka, now a neighbourhood of the Town of Studénka, is first mentioned as early as 1374 - 75 as Neuhibl (Newhubel). Originally, the community was a fief belonging to the Diocese of Olomouc, later part of the Štramberk manor owned by the Lords of Krawarn. Nová Horka experienced its greatest prosperity when the last owners, the Vetter von der Lilie family, built a manor house in Nová Horka, where they resided until 1949.

The village was of German extraction and as in the surrounding communities, the main means of subsistence was agriculture, fish farming, as well as fruit growing. Since the village did not have its own rectory, it was attached to Bartošovice, later to Sedlnice and finally to the new rectory in Albrechtičky, the Deanery of Příbor. In 1875 a separate German school was established. Since the 1950s, Nová Horka's Baroque manor house served for decades as a residential care facility for women.