About Studénka

Město StudénkaApproximately 20 km (12 miles) southwest of Ostrava and 20 km northeast of Nový Jičín, Studénka is situated in a lowland area in the North of the Moravian Gate, a geomorphological feature in the Czech Republic’s Moravian region and a natural pass between the Sudetes in the west and the Carpathian Mountains in the west. The youngest town in the Nový Jičín district, Studénka consists of three neighbourhoods, Studénka, Butovice and Nová Horka, which are surrounded by the small communities of Albrechtičky, Pustějov, Velké Albrechtice and Bartošovice. The town was established in 1959 when Butovice and Studénka merged, while Nová Horka was incorporated as part of the town in 1975. The name Studénka is probably derived from the Lachian word for a well or natural spring.

Studénka is located in the protected landscape area Poodří and is surrounded by a series of ponds, and meadows with adjacent remnants of riparian woodland. The meandering course of the Oder River runs in the immediate vicinity of Studénka and offers sites of great natural beauty, featuring a number of rare and endangered species, especially those found in the Kotvice Nature Reserve, which was established in 1970.

Studénka does not have a natural historical centre; however, almost half of the town’s residents live in Studénka’s housing estate where the town’s administrative centre is located.

The first extant written records mentioning the settlement of both communities date from the 14th century. At the time of its foundation, both settlements were Czech; however, after the period of the so-called Great Colonization a predominance of German settlers became evident. An important date in the history of both communities was 12 December 1900 when a joint stock company was entered into the business register under the name of Staudinger Waggonfabrik A.G. The rich history of the manufacturing plant has been presented in the Museum of Railway housed in the Studénka Manor House.

Studénka's most prominent native was František Tomášek (1899-1992), a cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church and the 34th Archbishop of Prague, who was made an honorary citizen of Studénka in 1990. Three years later, a commemorative plaque was unveiled at the local school, his birthplace. Other notable natives include builder and contractor Matyáš Reinscher and patriotic priest Jan Böhm.

Among Studénka's protected cultural monuments are the buildings of the old and new manor house. What is referred to as the Old Manor House (Starý zámek) today was built in the Renaissance style in 1567 by the Füllstein family in the place of the original Gothic stronghold, which is mentioned as early as the 15th century. In the period between 1749 and 1750, Josef Kryštof Ondřej Řeplinský of Berečko commissioned a new Baroque mansion, the so-called New Manor House (Nový zámek), and between 1860 – 1863 Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher carried out a complete reconstruction during which the original two-storey building was expanded to include a tower and a spire with a spiral staircase. The marble steps of the main staircase were brought from Velké Kunčice u Glucholazů, and the cast iron handrail was made at the ironworks in Blansko. A park was created around the manor house, which featured a number of exotic woody species. After World War II the manor house became home to the Business School for Legionnaires; at a later period the building housed classrooms of the local lower-secondary school and the remaining part of the manor house contained council flats.

In 1936 the town of Studénka bought the building and the surrounding park from Count Blücher and currently, the Baroque building of the New Manor House is used for cultural as well as commercial purposes. The manor house also contains a ceremonial hall, the municipal library, the Railway Museum.

Other cultural monuments in Studénka include ecclesiastical sites and churches, most importantly the Baroque All Saints Church in Butovice, a protected cultural monument with prized altar paintings by J. G. Frommel from 1788 – 1789, and St Bartholomew's Church in Studénka, which was built in the Neo-Gothic style. Other interesting historical sites include the Baroque manor house in Nová Horka, St. Anna Chapel, a stone cross and the castle gate.

In order to facilitate the organization of a variety of cultural and social events, the town hall established a state allowance organization, the Municipal Cultural Centre, which runs two libraries and the Railway Museum and is also involved in the filming of news programming for the local cable TV operator. Furthermore, Studénka prides itself on a tambura orchestra, Richard Gelnar's Brač, which looks back on a history of over ninety years.

The local football stadium, ice hockey arena as well as Studnénka's BMX track offer good conditions for sports activities. In September 2004, construction of the Sports Centre Studénka was completed. The centre includes an indoor pool 17 by 5 metres, a two-lane bowling alley, sauna, jacuzzi, sunbed and a refreshment bar. Other sports facilities in Studénka include tennis and badminton courts, two fitness clubs and an equestrian centre.

Nature lovers will be thrilled by the enchanting landscape along the Oder River (Odra in Czech), known as Poodří (the Odra River Area), which resembles an English landscape park crisscrossed with a network of hiking and cycling trails. The most prized localities in the Poodří area are accessible thanks to the Kotvice Educational Trail, a nature trail named after a critically endangered water plant and a pond bearing the same name. The trail begins at the Pasečný Bridge and at the mill in Nová Horka.

The town hall established a kindergarten operated at five locations and four primary schools. Studénka is also a home to an art school, a private music school as well as a private secondary school. Studénka residents and visitors may choose from a large number of restaurants, cafés, and pubs. Accommodation is available at the Vagonka Hotel and Sportovní centrum Studénka (Sports Centre Studénka). Last but not least, Studénka is an important transport junction situated on the main railway line connecting Bohumín and Přerov. The building of the new railway station was completed in 2003.